Palmi is a pretty small town with a modern look, risen again after the earthquake of 1908, it has straight streets and large squares, in a good position on a terrace controlling Tyrrhenian coast of Aspromonte, called Costa Viola.
It rose probably in the century X, due to refugees of the ancient Taurianum and it seems to have taken the name from the many palm trees growing in the surrounding countryside. The first historic memory, appearing in the quote as Palma, dated back to 1310. The area was inhabited from the bronze age, as certified in discoveries near the old bridge in the Petrace. Destroyed by a barbarian raid of the century XVI, it was rebuilt by Carlo Spinelli, first duke of Seminara, called for a time with the name of Carlòpoli. It had fortified city walls, still today the ruins are visible, and along the coast it was fortified with towers of guard, called S. Francesco and Pietre Nere (1565), the second one is still now in the same ram. In 1636 the court of Naples gave it up to marquis of Arena, which wise administration started to flourish. From 1684 it belonged to Spinelli. Destroyed by the earthquake of 1783, Palmi rose again rapidly and in 1816, when there were 6100 residents in it, it was raised to county town of the district by the Borboni. It was damaged by earthquakes of 1898 and 1908 and almost entirely rebuilt as earthquake proof.
It is an important agricultural and commercial centre, with industrial activities and, with the beaches of Marina of Palmi always valued and crowded.
It is the location of the main judiciary, financial and educational institutions, focusing in them the whole extended district. It is Episcopal seat.
It is location of judiciary district in which territory there are 33 municipalities of the Piana di Gioia Tauro. The Judiciary District of Palmi, with that of Locri, is part of the District of the Court of Appeal of Reggio Calabria. The structures of the Judiciary District are the followings:
Palace of Justice: it rises in the old town centre of Palmi, exactly in Giovanni Amendola Square and it includes the Court, the Court of Assizes and the Public Prosecutor’s office. The present Palace of Justice was realized at the end of the Eighties, but some offices (among which the Civil Court) currently are still located in the old offices in Roma Street in the building dated back, as realized, to the Fascist period. In compliance with the expected Legislative Decree N° 155 of 2012, from 13 September 2013, the detached offices of Cinquefrondi was unified to the Court of Palmi; therefore for every needed activity or service it will be necessary to speak directly to the offices of the Court of Palmi, respectively the offices of Roma Street – Palmi (Civil Offices) and the offices of Amendola Square – Palmi (Penal Offices).
Prison: the present building was realized at the end of the Seventies and is located in the neighbourhood Trodio. It has a detached section in the municipality of Laureana di Borrello.
Judge of Peace: The Office of the Judge of Peace is hosted in the council market area, in Nazario Sauro Street, and in the same building there is also the Office for Communication of Execution and Protests at the Court of Palmi.
Where we are
The offices of the Court of Palmi are so located:
The Presidency, the Administrative management, the administrative-management sector, the sections of the civil legal department and of the voluntary jurisdiction, the bankruptcy chancellor’s office, the chancellor’s office of the movable and real estate executions, the chancellor’s office for work and welfare, the office for costs of justice are located at the Law courts of Roma Street; the same state-owned building hosts also the Association of Lawyers of Palmi;
The Penal Hearing Section, the Court of Assizes, the section of Judge for Preliminary Investigations-Judge of the Preliminary Hearings, the Public Prosecutor’s office at the Court and the Offices of the Criminal Investigation Department, are located in the judiciary offices of Amendola Square.
The Court of Palmi has a territorial jurisdiction on the Municipalities of: Anoia, Candidoni, Cinquefrondi, Cittanova, Cosoleto, Delianuova, Feroleto della Chiesa, Galatro, Giffone, Gioia Tauro, Laureana di Borrello, Maropati, Melicuccà, Melicucco, Molochio, Oppido Mamertina, Palmi, Polistena, Rizziconi, Rosarno, San Ferdinando, San Giorgio Morgeto, San Pietro di Carità, San Procopio, Santa Cristina d’Aspromonte, Sant’Eufemia d’Aspromonte, Scido, Seminara, Serrata, Sinopoli, Taurianova, Terranova Sappo Minulio e Varapodio.
In compliance with the Legislative Decree N. 155 of 2012, from 13 September 2013, the detached offices of the Court of Cinquefrondi was united with the Court of Palmi; therefore for every needed activity o service it is necessary to address directly to the offices of the Court of Palmi, in the Roma Street (Civil Offices) and in the Amendola Square (Penal Offices).
Civil Court and Administrative Sector – Offices of Roma Street